Cuddly Soft Baby Blankie, Part II

Click Here for a link to the original post that has links to the pattern.

Okay – so I finally finished the blanket (about two weeks late)! The reason I got behind was that I messed up…and I mean BAD. At some point, the right side of the pattern started showing up on the wrong side and I didn’t notice, for whatever reason, for a while. I had to rip back a long way to get back to where the mistake happened. Then, it took me several days (okay, well over a week) to figure out how to get back on track! Ugh. But, I kept going and finally got it.

ANOTHER TIP: Keep very careful track of which row you are on. This is an awesome pattern and I shouldn’t have messed up like I did. I think I know when it happened – I had just finished a row when the phone rang. I answered the phone, talked for however long, and then when I went to check which row I was on, I couldn’t remember whether I had written it down or not! Yes, I used old-fashioned pen and paper to keep track 🙂 Now, I always want to be sure that I have written down the last row I did before I answer the phone or anything else. Anyway, so I chose wrong and ended up costing about 2 weeks on it. An advanced knitter would have probably corrected it much sooner, but hey, I’m challenging myself with knitting and learning at the same time.

So, then I blocked it. I soaked it for a little over half an hour in lukewarm water and some delicate wash called “Eucalan.” I had never used Eucalan before, but decided to try it. Seems to be a good product so I’ll be using it again.

Here is the blanket soaking:



I had a helper keeping watch:


"Yep, it's looking good." He seemed to say.

“Yep, it’s looking good,” he seemed to say.

Delicate Wash

After it soaked, I pinned it to blocking mats. They are KnitPicks mats, but I ordered them from amazon here. I also bought some T-pins to pin the blanket into shape. You don’t have to use blocking mats. You could use any firm object as long as you can pin to it. I didn’t think these mats were going to be big enough, so I was going to use a fold-out futon if they weren’t, and just put a towel down between the wet blanket and the futon.




It took well over a day to completely dry, but I was very happy with the result. It actually did shape it pretty well!




There are a few “design features” (read: mistakes), but it was knit with love and I hope it keeps the little bundle of joy it is intended for warm and happy for years to come.

Sunday Stitches – Norwegian Fir and Long Garter Stitch

Aren’t these gorgeous???

Happy 2015!

The stitch samples I would like to share today are the Norwegian Fir pattern and the Long Garter Stitch, both of which can be found in The Stitch Library by Claire Crompton.

Norwegian Fir Stitch

Norwegian Fir

Worked over multiple of 12 stitches + 1.

The sample shown is worked over 37 stitches.

Rows 1 – 5: Knit
Row 6 RS): P1 [p3, k5, p4] 3 times
Row 7: Purl
Row 8: P2tog [p2, k2, yo, k1, yo, k2, p2, p3tog] 3 times but end last repeat with p2tog
Row 9: Purl
Row 10: P2tog [p1, k2, yo, k3, yo, k2, p1, p3tog] 3 times but end last repeat with p2tog
Row 11: Purl
Row 12: P2tog [k2, yo, k5, yo, k2, p3tog]  3 times but end last repeat with p2tog
Row 13: Purl
Rows 14 – 30: Repeat rows 6 to 13 three more times
Rows 31 – 25: Knit

Long Garter…

View original post 91 more words


Still working on learning to knit. I have the knit stitch and purl stitch down, though I am very good at making mistakes. I’m working on a scarf now, but really need to find some time every day to work on it!

Don't laugh - I'm a beginner!

Don’t laugh – I’m a beginner!